Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Summer Dress Pattern Review

 I made Mea a new summer dress using Mccalls pattern 6312.  It's a great summer dress, but it was sized too big, as you can see from the back.  All the other dresses I make in the same size fit her perfectly right now, but this one hangs funny in the back after cinching it it at the waist with the ties.  I've made some modifications to the pattern, and there are still a few more I need to do.  I decided against making the underskirt (supposed to be made of tulle with an additional lining) because I didn't want the dress to be heavy and hot for summer.  So instead, I used the same bias tape (the white edging on the bodice) to hem the dress.  I made my own thinner bias tape (just over 1/4"), too, instead of using the 1/2" packaged kind.  And I've decided that I need to sew the belt to the dress in the front, otherwise it is constantly bunching up and looking funny.   But other than that, I love the dress, and I think she looks cute in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment